Tuesday 2 April 2019

Seedballs/ Seedbombs- getting into some guerilla gardening for good


I bought a bag of clay from Curry's Art Supplies last year with the intention of making seed bombs, but life, and head trauma, got in the way. Then two weeks ago I was buying groceries, and saw this bag of mixed wildflower seeds in the vegetable section, of all places. It promised being able to cover a huge area with flowers for $20, so I bought it. I mixed a handful of the seed mixture with some composted manure and a light potting soil to spread the seeds out even more, and then made little pockets of clay and filled them with this mixture. Like dirt ravioli.




The next batch will probably be made more like the instructions I've found online, with the seeds and manure kneaded into the clay. I tried a germination test with one of the balls, and it fell apart in a way that left the seedling roots exposed, which likely wouldn't happen if the entire ball 'melted' into the dirt. So, smaller balls, and the seeds and manure mixed in.

These ones will still get chucked into the edges of forests in the next couple of weeks, because they're there already, and who knows? If a few work that's still better than none. But I'll try it again this coming weekend and see how the recommended method works out. I still have a lot of the seed mixture left over. And I'll also chuck the saved up black walnuts I have from last fall as well on my seed-spreading expedition.

My friends are going to be getting some little presents, too... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment