Friday 19 April 2019

Scaling up my gardening

I've had a veggie garden of some kind since I moved out of my parent's place when I was 19, but it's never been a very big garden. We were always temporary. We moved a LOT. Except when we lived at the housing co-op while Abby was young. My community garden plot there was larger and much more productive. I gave away a LOT of tomatoes. I never supported myself from it.
I've been reading these how-to market gardening books, and dreaming, and thinking, and planning... but never doing. This year my plan is to grow as many veggies as I can and try to grow all of our produce for the months of July and August. Fruit isn't possible yet, so that can be a plan for next year. Herbs are completely possible. I'm going to be able to grow all of my mint tea for the year, and hopefully a good portion of my chamomile.



Also, I need to fence off my gardens so the local cotton tail rabbit doesn't eat everything (like the parsley it mowed down to ground level this past week). The greedy little monster.

Bring on the planning. There's lots of theory, and only minimal practice. This will be interesting to see. Fire up the compost bin!

No comments:

Post a Comment