Friday 5 April 2019

Getting back into knitting


I've had the wool that I used for these socks since my daughter was about seven years old. That's a decade ago, now, scary to think. I had intended to make it into 'elven' slippers for her, but I never got around to it.
Ever since I hit my head a lot of things have gotten harder for me, but oddly enough knitting has gotten easier. Before, I had this issue of my brain 're-setting' or 'flashing' and I would lose whatever I was doing for half a second. It made hand writing, knitting, anything that needed a constant stream of concentration... difficult. The one silver lining, and the one thing that has gotten easier is that. I don't have the constant 'flash' re-setting of my concentration. I have massive daily migraines that need medication to control, and I can't drive for more than half an hour because of the visual processing issues... But now I can knit. It's finally relaxing for the first time in my life. So. Here are some socks for my daughter. The yarn is sparkly and reminds me of a night sky with stars.





These are my second pair of socks for this year. I got the yarn from the thrift store (thank you Marie Kondo!) and another, slightly larger set of needles. These are for a young woman of my acquaintance who lives down in Florida. We became online friends after we were teamed up for a crazy online scavenger hunt/activism training camp called GISHWHES (the greatest international scavenger hunt that the world has ever seen- now just called GISH). I think that everyone deserves socks knit by a mom, even if it's not their own mom.



I'm very much in love with the Ravelry knitting and crocheting pattern website.  I'm using a free pattern for these socks- it's called Basic Socks, by user Winwick Mum. It's about as simple as you can get for socks.

No comments:

Post a Comment