Friday 30 November 2018

Mead again


I took my mead to an SCA arts and sciences event to get some feedback, and it didn't totally suck. The night before the event I took half the mead and 'backsweetened' it with 500g of really nice honey that I got out of my hives a month ago, right on the cusp of wrapping them up for the winter.

The original mead was very watery, and not terribly flavourful, but someone suggested that I could use it to make extracts. That's a fantastic idea, and I'll be doing that. The sweetened mead was a little bit watery, and it didn't meet the standards of the master brewer who tried it, but everyone else thought it was perfectly fine. Also, it had a kick like a mule. I don't know what the alcohol content is, but it's definitely over 10%.

I'll be giving a jar of mead and a jar of honey as 'rent' at the place where I keep my hives. I hope they like it.

My next brewing adventure will be more controlled. I bought a couple cider kits, and I'll be starting them soon. I want to have some good beverages to share for the SCA summer camping season, in good Anglo-Saxon mead-hall fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment