Friday 16 November 2018

How to become a little bit more self-sufficient (even if you live in the city)



Being more self-sufficient also means saving a bit of money. This is what's called a 'win-win', I believe! If this is super new for you choose one item off this list, and start from there.


1. Have some herbs in pots in a sunny window.


My kitchen is too dark to keep plants in, so all of my herbs, and my lemon and bay trees have ended up in my daughter's 'study'. She likes being surrounded by plants while she works, and her window faces nearly directly south, so everybody is happy. Between this and my outdoor herb garden I haven't had to buy anything except annual herbs for years, and I have enough to give away as gifts, as well as make my food extra yummy for the whole year. I honestly believe this is why my roast chicken and soups are as good as it is. Fresh, or freshly dried, herbs really do make all the difference.





2. Start a compost pile.


Buying potting soil is crazy expensive, and it runs out of nutrients very quickly. If you make coffee and tea at home, eat apples except for the core, and peel veggies... why would you ever need to buy soil again? I've written another post on how to do a compost pile, so I won't get into the details here. You can even compost in apartment buildings with a vermicomposter.



3. Dry your clothes on a rack.


Driers use exorbitant amounts of electricity. Far more than a fan and an overnight airing. My basement is extremely damp (it was literally built on top of a swamp back in the early 60's), so I need to add a dehumidifier to my fan. I use the exhaust fan from the dehumidifier to blow on the clothes from another angle for quicker drying.



4. Set up a rain barrel to help water your garden (or for dyeing).


In my municipality having a rain barrel also provides me with a tax discount above and beyond the discounts for not paying for tap water for certain things. People used to use their rain barrels to wash their hair, because soft water will rinse out soap far better than hard water will (especially if you're using non-detergent soap).



5. Learn how to mend clothing.


If you lose a button or rip an old pair of jeans it shouldn't be the end of the world, or the end of your clothing. Pinterest has so many ideas it's insane (sorry if you get lost in there and it takes you a while to climb out)- Especially for creative ways to mend moth-eaten holes in wool sweaters. I'm hoping some of my sweaters WILL get hit so I can play with them. Heck. Maybe I'll just do it anyways.



6. Buy a good quality pair of electric shears for barbering.


I've been cutting my husband's hair for the last 20 years using a pair of clippers given to us at Christmas by his parents. Same clippers. He doesn't like really fancy haircuts, thankfully, so that worked out really well. Believe me... it's important to get good quality ones. One time after a move when I thought we had lost them I bought another pair of clippers. It was horrible. You get what you pay for in this case. I don't need fancy haircuts either, but he's too scared of trying on me. Fair enough.



7. Plant a fruit tree or bush.


If you have a yard this will save you some money in the summer, especially hybrid soft fruit varieties that will fruit more than once in a season. I like my everbearing strawberries- they go from June until frost, with 1-3 ripe berries per plant every week. I have to fight the squirrels and a raccoon for them, though. It's a pitched battle in my backyard.



8. Make your own bread (if you can eat gluten).


Gluten-free flours are crazy-expensive, but wheat isn't. Back in the day (creaky voice), I used to make my own bread, and it was cheaper than buying it from the store. If you're afraid of trying it by hand a good bread machine will pay for itself within a year or so. Bread machines also save you a bit of time and mental effort if you're having a tough day.



9. Get an old-fashioned address book.


If something happens to your phone (like you lose it either temporarily or permanently) you will be glad of this! It's all well and good if everything is stored on 'the cloud'... but if you can't reach 'the cloud' that doesn't help you at all! Keep it in a safe place in case of emergencies. Mine stays in the hutch drawer.



10. Learn how to read a map printed on paper.


Just do it. It's a life skill. Some gas stations even sell them sometimes.



11. Keep some cash on hand for 'just in case'.


A couple hundred in a jar, or a sock, or whatever. You never know. And if you keep adding to it every once in a while it will quietly grow into a useful 'just in case' amount.



12. If you have a car wash it on your lawn.


The water will go into your grass so you don't have to water it, and the soap is actually contains nutrients for the soil. If you're not using your front lawn for anything like growing food you might as well catch some of the water from your car instead of it going right down the storm drain.



13. Freeze leftovers for lunch (or soup).


I keep veggie and meat scraps in the freezer until I want to make a soup base. And I always make extra portions of supper (up to three times as much), because cooking in bulk is cheaper, and I've been getting envious eyes at work for the last ten years because of the great food I'm always bringing. It's a bit surprising, because as far as I know, all I'm doing is making healthy dinners...



14. If you're close enough try walking or biking to the grocery store.


My local, smaller and cheaper, grocery store is only 1km away. Total. It's a bit silly to drive there when the weather is nice and I'm not feeling sick. I have a grocery cart/bag to tow behind me if I know I'm getting more than will fit in a backpack. It's better for you AND your car- short trips like that are hard on it because it doesn't warm up very much. And pulling a cart is a good workout that doesn't require you to wear 'workout gear'.



15. Run everything off of power bars.


And then shut them off when you're done using the tv, floor lamp, etc. 'Vampire power' actually sucks quite a bit out off the grid, and sneakily ups your electricity bill. Obviously you can't do that with your fridge and stove, but what about your washing machine? Weirdly enough it may be drawing power even when not in use.



16. Make your own food from scratch.


Especially dinners. If you're used to heat-and-eat... find one recipe to start with, and put it into the rotation until you're comfortable with it. Then try a second one. For example, crock pots are the bomb for making chili, and there are a surprising number of things you can make with one. When you're done with dinner you can just transfer the crock to the fridge for tomorrow, or making lunches. See #13.



17. Homemade jam or pickles make the best gifts.


And you can eat it in a pinch. Freezer jams are a very respectable alternative if you're uncomfortable with canning. Pickles, or anything preserved with vinegar, like salsa and chutneys, are pretty much fool-proof. If you still have any left over at Christmas you can bake up some scones and give the perfect gift. Nobody hates jam and scones.



18. Try making yoghurt.


I always add in a tablespoon of lemon jello during the heating stage (before adding the bacterial culture) to make it thicker. It's just like the yoghurt from the store, and it's half the price. Keep old yoghurt containers from the store, wash, and re-use. Nobody will know the difference. All it takes is a stove, ten minutes of heating and cooling, stirring in a couple packets, and then leaving it in the oven over night with the light on. Yes, it's that easy. Especially with bagged milk as it's already sterile.



No comments:

Post a Comment