Friday 4 November 2016

Winding down for the winter

It's quite cold out there. There's something about damp air which ignores layers and insulation. And that lazy wind doesn't bother to go around... it just goes straight through.

But, my lasagne garden has some gorgeous, large worms in it now, and I uncovered a centipede (Chris called it a 'bazillopede' and got a bit squicked) whilst digging around. The soil is improving immensely. These are good signs. I have two composters digesting leaves and a bit of veggie scraps, but I don't want to put out much more than that because we seem to have rats. The green bin is for everything else. Thank goodness for that. I can feel less guilty about it.




I finally got over my flu and could get out and plant my saffron crocus bulbs. They were starting to sprout, and they were expensive! Thankfully they are supposed to double quite quickly, and they even grow up in Quebec, so I'm not too worried about how they'll do here. I'll have enough stamens to colour some rice next fall. Certainly not enough to dye with anyways. Something for the future.

The angelica and betony are much happier in their new location, and the blueberry bushes are winding down for the winter and losing their leaves. The ever-bearing strawberries finally bowed to the cold and are dying back as well. The horehound that I ripped out of the community garden, which then got sick and nearly died... Survived. As did the meadowsweet. I have enough sage and thyme put by, and more rosemary than I need.

Next year is going to be amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment