Friday 7 September 2018

First Attempt at Mead


It takes me a long time to work myself up to trying something new. I'm always worried that I'll mess it up and end up having wasted my time and money. However, in this case, everything is either cheap or reusable.

I keep bees, and earlier this summer I was trying to do something with one of my hives (I can't remember what now), and I ended up with a frame of unfinished honey. This honey smells a little off, but it's perfectly safe to eat. I suspect there were some odd flowers or something that went into this batch. It just doesn't taste very good in my tea.

So, I saved it in the fridge until I was ready to try making mead. I have enough of that honey to probably make just about five gallons of this stuff.






To off-set the aroma I threw in some licorice root and dried peppermint leaves. I guess that makes it into an herbal metheglin?

Another different additive are the bits of bee larvae and drowned bees that came in the honeycomb. I've been looking into 'whole hive' mead, so this is my totally uneducated attempt to play with that recipe. I filtered out the recognizable adult bee parts, but I left in the larvae bits that got included. Apparently they will add food for the yeast which normally would be provided by raisins in modern recipes.

I'm fully expecting it to taste absolutely horrible. But, hey. At least it was cheap. Half a packet of yeast and a gallon of bottled water are the only bought consumables in this odd attempt.

No comments:

Post a Comment