Monday 27 August 2018

More mead thoughts

As is usually the case I'm not the first person to have thought about the medieval way of making mead. I came across a great post in a forum recently that really clears up all my questions. This is the kind of mead that I'm going to be making at the end of the week-




'Whole hive' mead

This recipe makes me think that they might have just scooped the hive directly into a brewing vat and gone to town! Also, mead strainers would be a definite need for anyone serving mead straight from the vat.

I hope to have it all done in time for some of the medieval reenactment camping events I'm going to this fall. My one question is about the definite inclusion of bee venom (from some of the drowned bees). If someone is allergic to bees will it hurt them? It's probably better to be safe than sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment